Spiced Breakfast Sausage
For a long time, we wondered if beef sausage was possible. A bit of research and experimenting* proved to us that it was. The recipe below came about as a result of our efforts. We've found that not only can it make a tasty sandwich (especially when topped with a fried egg), but it can also make for an excellent pizza topping.
*Through a number of 'experiments' since the writing of this recipe, I've come to favor a bit more spice than the amount exhibited in the ingredient list below. I simply use half-again as much of the amounts listed for a more spicy and flavor-packed sausage. - JacobV
Servings: 4 quarter-pound patties (or 2-3 pizza’s worth of topping)
Time: ~10 min. preparation, ~5 min. cooking
• 1 lb. Master Blend Ground Beef
• ~ 2 tbsp. Olive Oil (1 tbsp. for beef with higher fat content i.e. ANG#258)
• 1 ¼ tsp. Salt
• 1 tsp. Dried Sage
• 1 tsp. Fennel Seed
• 1 tsp. Fresh Ground Black Pepper
• ¾ tsp. Brown Sugar
• ½ tsp. Cayenne Pepper
• ½ tsp. Onion Powder
• ¼ tsp. Red Pepper (or to taste)
1. Preheat a skillet to medium-high temperature while you prepare the ground beef.*
*(Optional) Prepare the sausage ahead of time, and let it sit in the refrigerator for a few hours to attain better flavor saturation.
2. Take the ground beef out of its pack and break it into small chunks. Keep in mind that the recipe utilizes 1 lb. of beef; that is half a pack of Master Blend ground beef.
3. Gather the spices, salt, and sugar, and stir them together in a small bowl.
4. Add your spices, salt, and sugar into the 1 lb. ground beef. Knead everything in until evenly distributed.
5. When it comes time to cook, you can make (4) patties if you want sausage sandwiches, or you can crumble the beef into small chunks for a delicious pizza topping.
6. Pour ~2 tbsp. of olive oil onto the now hot skillet.
7. If in patty form, cook your sausage to 120-125º F (medium doneness). If in crumble form, cook until lightly browned (it will cook more on the pizza). In both methods, don’t disturb the meat too frequently, or it won’t as of a tasty brown crust.
8. Remove from skillet, let the sausage rest a moment, and enjoy!
Recipe submitted by JacobV of Master Blend Cattle Company.
Step 1: Gather Ingredients
Step 2: Combine
Step 3: Form
Step 4: Cook
Step 5: Enjoy!