Many years ago, we made an excellent ‘buffalo’ meatloaf (actually bison beef) by following a recipe from Chef Jon at Food Wishes Video Recipes. Recently, we decided to utilize the same recipe to make a meatloaf from our leanest hamburger – ANG#3196. It turned out to be quite delicious, so we figured we would share it here.
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Meat Loaf Ingredients:
2 tbsp. butter
2 strips bacon for frying in butter
7-8 strips of thick cut bacon (or enough to wrap the meatloaf)
1/2 yellow onion
1 large carrot
1 rib celery
1 bell pepper (or equivalent similar pepper)
4 button mushrooms
3 cloves garlic (or less, to taste)
2 cups (not packed) FRESH breadcrumbs (made via putting fresh bread in food processor)
1/4 cup milk OR sour cream
1 large egg
1/4 tsp. dried rosemary (or 2 tsp. fresh-chopped)
1 tsp. Worcestershire
1 tsp. black pepper (fresh ground for best flavor)
3 tsp. kosher salt (more or less, to taste)
1/2 tsp. of cayenne (more or less, to taste)
2 lbs. ground beef
Glaze: Mix these three ingredients together and brush on midway through cooktime.
2 tbsp. rice vinegar
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1. Preheat Oven to 350° F.
2. Put butter and 2 finely sliced strips of bacon into a pan or skillet over medium-low heat until half-
crisp (about 10 minutes).
3. While bacon is being cooked, coarsely chop all of your vegetables and put it into a food processor.
Pulse it until everything is in very small pieces, but do not make a puree.
4. Remove vegetables from food processor and put into pan with bacon for 5 minutes. Add the
rosemary at this time.
5. Take the vegetable/bacon mixture, add it to your bowl of FRESH breadcrumbs, and then pour in
your ¼ cup milk.
6. Mix it all together, and let it cool to room temperature.
7. While it cools, add your pepper, salt, Worcestershire sauce, egg, and cayenne powder.
8. Stir it all in, and then add your beef. Mix it all together until everything is evenly intermingled.
9. Transfer the mixture into a lightly greased baking dish, and form it into a loaf (about 4-5 inches
wide and 3-4 inches tall).
10. Drape in bacon, using either your fingers or a butter knife to push the slices under the loaf.
11. Put into preheated oven (350° F) for 30 minutes.
12. Remove at the 30-minute mark and apply the glaze – your mixture of 2 tbsp. rice vinegar, 2 tbsp.
brown sugar, and 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard)
13. Return to oven for another ~ 30 minutes or until internal temperature hits ~155°F or slightly less
(it will continue to cook even after it is out of the oven).
14. Allow the meatloaf to sit for 10 min, and then enjoy!
Recipe was originally learned here from Chef Jon at Food Wishes Video Recipes. (Very good video.)
Step 1: Prepare Vegetables
Step 2: Precook
Step 3: Form the loaf and wrap in bacon
Step 4: Cook and let rest
Step 5: Enjoy!